December 14 – Aly Dosdall
“One of my go-to gifts to make for the holidays is a simple desk calendar. I’ve made them for my husband, parents, extended family, neighbors, and friends. This year I made this simple flag desk calendar so I thought I would share with you how to make one. They’re super easy!
Here’s what you need:
- Seven 6 x 6 inch sheets of black chipboard (white or natural color would work fine as well)
- Patterned paper scraps (small patterns work the best)
- Alpha stickers (you’ll need numbers for the cover)
- Baker’s twine or ribbon
- Binding tool and wire (or hole punch and binder rings)
- Printable calendar pages (download here – 2012 Calendar Page1 & Page2)
Here’s what to do:
- Cut all the chipboard sheets in half—you’ll need thirteen 3 x 6 inch pieces.
- Trim your calendar pages following the guides. Write the month on the back.
- Trim your paper scraps into flag and pennant shapes (varying the lengths and widths adds interest). Add three to the top left edge of each chipboard piece.
- Adhere a calendar page to the bottom of each chipboard piece. Add alpha stickers along the right edge for each month.
- To create your cover add three flag/pennant shapes to the top left (make these longer than the others), and the year to the bottom right using number stickers.
- Bind your calendar pages with a binding tool and wire, or a hole punch and binder rings. Most office supply or copy stores will bind pages for a minimal fee.
- Secure your calendar using baker’s twine or ribbon.
I hope this gift idea inspires you. I wish you all a very wonderful holiday season filled with joy, loved ones, and lots of crafty time!