Today, we’re turning over our blog to our friends at Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L! Their product line is not just for sticking things down—there are so many creative possibilities with their endless varieties of tape runners, foam tape, and so much more! Let’s take a look at an amazing project that we know you’ll want to try out for your next special birthday celebration!
This amazing birthday cake gift box is such a fun and colorful container, that it makes you forget to open it! There are lots of textures—from the fringe to the foiled accents, to the felt flowers—that make this a fabulous eye candy project (pun intended!) Inspired by Pinterest, Dana Tatar walks you through how she created this fun gift box:
Birthday Cake Gift Box Instructions:
- Cut two pieces of patterned paper to measure 3 x 11-inches. Apply Extreme Double-Sided Tape ¼-inch along the right side and bottom edges of the paper pieces. Score the paper strips about 1/2 inch in from the right edge, just to the left of the tape.
- Apply Adhesive Dots Micro randomly along both patterned paper pieces. Remove the liner on an Adhesive Dot Micro and press a piece of silver foil from the Metallic Transfer Foil Sheets Holographic over the top foil side UP. Peel away the foil sheet to reveal a foiled dot. Repeat this process for the remaining adhesive dots.
- Remove the red liner from the Extreme Double-Sided Tape ¼-inch (from Step 1) along the bottom edges of the paper strips. Roll the paper strips into circles and press to seal. Be sure that one rolled circle is larger than the other so that one piece fits inside of the other.
- Use the smaller paper cylinder as a guide to cut a circle about 1/2 inch larger than the cylinder from a piece of patterned paper. This circle will become the bottom of the box. Remove the red liner from the Extreme Double-Sided Tape ¼-inch. Use scissors to cut small tabs from the bottom edge of the cylinder up to the score line.
- Fold the tabs down along the score line. Press the cylinder onto the circle base. This is the bottom portion of the cake box.
- Use the larger paper cylinder as a guide to cut a circle from patterned paper. This circle will become the top of the box. Place Adhesive Dots Micro onto the circle patterned paper and apply foil as mentioned in Step 2. Remove the top liner from the Extreme Double-Sided Tape ¼-inch. Use scissors to cut small tabs from the bottom edge of the cylinder up to the score line. Fold the tabs down along the score line. Press the cylinder onto the circle base. This is the lid of the cake box.
- Fold a piece of crepe paper in half and cut into fringe with a pair of scissors.
- Apply Crafty Power Tape 20’ along the top and bottom edges of the cake box lid. Remove the liner and press the fringed crepe paper onto the tape. Separate the layers of crepe paper and fluff with fingers.
- Apply a piece of gold foil from the Metallic Transfer Foil Sheets Holographic onto three teardrop shapes from the 3D Foam Party Shapes. These 3D Foam pieces will become the candle flames.
- Cut paper straws into 3-inch segments. Peel the backing liner from the foiled teardrops from the 3D Foam Party Shapesand press onto the top inner edge of each paper straw.
- Paper straws fit perfectly inside the empty spaces of the 3D Foam Circles White Small size sheet! Cut the corner from a sheet of 3D Foam Circles White Mix. Insert the candle embellishments into the empty circles, peel off the backing liner, and press onto the top of the cake box. Use 3D Foam Circles to apply flowers and leaves around the base of the candles.
- Cut a festive message from patterned paper. Apply pieces of the 3D Foam Strips to the back of each letter and press on to the front of the cake box. Time to Celebrate!
Supplies | Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L®: Metallic Transfer Foil Sheets Holographic Colors, 3D Foam, Party Shapes, 3D Foam Strips, Crafty Power Tape 20’, 3D Foam Circles White Mix, Adhesive Dots Micro; HomeHobby by 3L®: Extreme Double-Sided Tape ¼-inch; Other: patterned paper; felt flowers and leaves; paper straws, crepe paper
Thanks so much to Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L and Dana for inspiring us today with this beautiful 3D project!