We have come to the end of our Canada 150 celebration (just in time to head out to fireworks!) and we hope that if you're Canadian you've enjoyed the day with us and if you're not Canadian that we've been able to share just what makes us so proud of this great country! In a world that has seen it's share of darkness lately, Canada has always been a beacon of hope to many. It's beautiful, proud, secure and clean. We are grateful to call Canada home and for the opportunities it has provided SCT magazine. Please know you are welcome in our home anytime! If this day has sparked a memory for you, be sure you're taking a moment to capture it. If you're enjoying today's festivities across the country with family and friends, enjoy it all and record it tomorrow. We're a diverse nation and we're proud of that!
What we've heard reading your comments today is that you have also loved our fun facts. So here's just a few more!
- The telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell in the summer of 1874
- Canadian Sir Fredrick Banting developed insulin
- Peameal bacon is often considered “Canadian bacon” abroad
- The quality of our tap water is often better than bottled water.
- We have a $300 collector's gold coin that has a narwhal on it.
- Canada is the most educated country in the world.
- We have an "Apology Act." – are you at all surprised? Really?
- An Ontario man invented Hawaiian pizza
- Studies find Canadians to be the second-happiest people in the world. And they're only getting happier. We are home to Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds after all ladies!
- A temperature of -63 C (-81.4 F) was recorded in the village of Snag on Feb. 3, 1947. That’s roughly the same temperature as the surface of Mars!
- Cirque du Soleil was founded in Quebec in 1984
- The popular children’s book Anne of Green Gables was written by P.E.I. author Lucy Maud Montgomery
- The first YMCA started in 1851 in Montreal
- In 1883, the baseball glove was invented in Canada
- The Great Lakes are the largest fresh water system in the world
….we could go on and on!
Around here at SCT HQs we love to celebrate. We love surprises and we love giveaways. A few weeks ago we ordered a fun prize to end this day and we also said "YES" to a wonderful prize from one of our great partners. Ready?
First, we want to share the definitive keepsake of Canada 150…
This beautiful 5-coin set from The Royal Canadian Mint includes the five winning designs from the My Canada, My Inspiration contest with the coloured version of the 2017 25¢ and the glow-in-the-dark $2 winning coin designs! This 5-coin set highlights a unique event in Canada in which the public designed and selected its national coinage! It's a unique portrait of Canada that will be cherished by generations to come. Every coin has been carefully hand-selected to ensure you get the best samples of their kind—including the colour versions of the 25-cent and $2 coins!
We also have this amazing sold out collection from our friends at Creative Memories!
This hour's winner will WIN a Creative Memories limited-edition Celebrate Canada 150th Anniversary Bundle! This one-of-a-kind bundle includes a custom Album Cover with a beautiful white foiled Canada design, a Paper Packfeaturing 12 unique designs infused with maple leaves, Inuit-inspired patterns and other Canadian themes, plus the Maple Leaf Punch! OH MY! It's a good one!
For the final time today SCT friends…for an opportunity to win this hour's prizes be sure to leave a comment below by July 7th and we will randomly select one lucky winner this hour to win them! After leaving your comment here we hope you'll take a moment to visit us on Facebook and Instagram (@sctmagazine) and leave a comment there as well for THREE chances to win! We'll be compiling all the comments each hour.
And don't forget to preorder our exclusive, limited edition Celebrate Canada stamp and die set HERE!
Thank you once again SCT friends! Be sure to leave comments each hour and be sure to share all of our posts with your friends! Let's share the fun!
~ Catherine Tachdjian
Publisher, Scrapbook & Cards Today magazine