It’s our final day of challenge week leading up to the release of our summer issue tomorrow, and our final challenge is a FUN one! Design team member Meghann Andrew has cooked up a new layout to record a fun, summer memory, and is giving you the recipe to create yourself, too! Let’s take a look at her challenge for us!
Hello, SCT friends! It’s Meghann Andrew, and I am so excited to be with you here on the blog today, the day before the summer issue release! Today, I’m here to bring a bit of summery sunshine with you in the form of a new 8-½” x 11” layout, and a recipe to go along with it! Let’s take a look at what I created using the Stitched Together collection from Close to My Heart, along with the Elle’s Studio From Sketch to Finish Stamp!
Supplies | Cardstock, patterned paper, stickers, journaling tags, wooden buttons: Stitched Together collection from Close to My Heart; Label sticker, stamps: Elle’s Studio; Enamel dots: Echo Park Paper
So many pretty colors on one layout, right? I knew this lovely collection would be perfect for recording my daughter’s happiness when her butterfly finally emerged from his cocoon—the floral elements and butterflies in Stitched Together worked perfectly for this story!
Today I’m sharing a recipe challenge, based on this layout! Use it to help you create a layout quickly and easily, and enter to win the awesome giveaway below!
Here are the ingredients that I’m challenging you to use on your page:
1. Use two or more different photos: I chose to create with two 3” square photos on this page, and framing them with white helped them to stand out against the colourful background!
2. Use four or more different patterns: No matter if you choose a full sheet of paper, or use a pattern found on a manufacturer’s strip, mix and match four or more different patterns on your page! It’s even more fun when you can cut along the design of the patterned paper to create a fun edge design, like I did here with the coral pattern.
3. Add an interactive element to your page: I chose two different Stitched Together Picture My Life cards to adhere together using washi tape. The top card became the title on my layout, and the bottom card held my journaling. This allows the viewer to flip up the top card to read the hidden journaling. Whether you do the same as I did here, or add something to an envelope or pocket, add something that needs to be flipped, moved, or interacted with in some way on your page!
4. Use both cardstock elements and hard elements: On this page, I chose to add floral elements and butterflies from the Stitched Together sticker sheet to frame my photos. I also used Wood Buttons and enamel dots in the embellishment groupings to add different textures—natural and shiny. Mixing different mediums on the page helps to keep it interesting!
5. Add stamping! Stamping is one of my favourite techniques ever. Not only can stamps be used over and over again in any colour in the rainbow, you can also do cool things with them! On this layout, I used phrase stamps from the Elle’s Studio From Sketch to Finish Vol. 5 stamp, and I stamped two or three times after inking up each phrase, leaving a faded effect. Whatever technique you decide to try, just grab a favourite stamp and get inky on your page!
That’s it! Use these five “ingredients” to create your perfect mix, and a beautiful layout! Happy creating, and be sure to enjoy all of the amazing content in the summer issue when it releases tomorrow!
Use Meghann’s 5-ingredient recipe above to create your own project! Here’s what you’ll win if you create and submit based on the steps below, and your project is randomly chosen:
Our new SCT Delivered Fun in the Sun kit is packed with the latest bright and summery products to help you record all of those hot, summer memories! This exclusive vibrant collection features papers from American Crafts, Simple Stories, and Echo Park. Coordinating accents like ephemera, a navy alphabet, enamel dots, and embellishments will add the perfect finishing touch to your layouts. And the exclusive 4×6 stamp set, printable tags, and kit cut files will bring happy inspiration to your scrap table!
- Create a layout, card or project based on this recipe challenge;
- Submit an image to us (must be under 2mb!) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Put “Summer Issue Recipe Challenge” in your reference line;
- Submit your entry by July 2, 2020 at midnight ET.
We can’t wait to see your perfectly-mixed projects! Stay tuned for the release of our Summer 2020 issue tomorrow! We can’t wait to share our newest issue with you!