Happy Saturday SCT friends! At CHA we had the opportunity to meet a fabulous designer that has been in the industry for quite some time, Megan Hoeppner. There was a great instant connection and when we asked her to write a trend report she was only too happy to do it! Megan's writes about her top 5 and we are sure you'll see why. Take it away Megan!
"When it comes to talking trends, you can always count me in. My name is Megan Hoeppner, and I'm delighted to be here with you today, sharing a few of my favorite crafting trends from the CHA Winter 2014 Mega Show. I was blessed to attend this show with the lovely My Craft Channel team as a special guest correspondent. As part of this, I had the pleasure of visiting many booths for filming purposes, which allowed me to see a number of rad releases in their entirety. I'm telling you, crafters, we are in for some serious crafting magic this spring! I can't wait for these lovelies to start hitting stores soon. In the meantime, here's a look at just a few of the many trends I observed at CHA earlier this week.
1. Insta-Overlays & Stickers
Love the look of Instagram and fun phone photo editing? Me too! Now we can create that look without even using our phones (or photo-editing software). Many companies are coming out with photo friendly embellishments that will make any printed photo look as if it's been edited simply by adding an overlay or sticker. Hooray!
* Project Life: Adding fun script-font sentiments directly to your images has never been easier, thanks to these sentimental stickers from Project Life. You don’t have to scrapbook in the Project Life fashion to make the most of these, either. They’re sold in add-on packs separate from the full PL kits.
* Cosmo Cricket: Add some playful personality to your pictures with these clear/white stickers from Cosmo. The word bubbles say so much, and the Hello grouping is nothing but homey and heartfelt.
* Maggie Holmes for Crate Paper: You can also add all-over photo fun with the use of funky overlays, like these from Maggie’s stellar Styleboard collection.
* Insta-Scrap by Leeza Gibbons for Prima Marketing: Have a little frame fun with the numerous frames offered in this whimsical line from Leeza Gibbons. Or add an interesting decal or statement to your image using any of the overlays and transparency pieces also included in this big bundle. BTW, how cute is that album?
2. Chalk It Up to Chalkboards
This is one trend that’s still going strong. Actual chalkboard products and chalkboard-styling alike. It’s fun to see this trend grow. Who knew something as basic as a blackboard could go so far? Actually, I take that back, as this goes beyond black boards to the more vintage-inspired green boards of yesteryear, and even chalkboards in current colors. Cool!
* American Crafts: The new DIY Shop assortment from AC brings things back to basics with its assortment of neutral products, including the striking look of a basic black in the form of various chalkboard products, including chalkboard clothespins, picks, stickers, tape, tags, and flair. Plus, they’ve introduced chalkboard paint in several colors, including a basic black, as well as red, green, blue, and yellow. Yes, a chalkboard rainbow awaits!
* Fancy Pants Designs: The chalkboard look is nothing new to our Fancy friends. They introduced chalkboard labels and tape in a previous release, but they’ve added to the fanciful fun with their Artist Edition additions including a variety of chalk tapes (love the various widths!) and basic chalkboard shipping tags in small and large.
* My Mind’s Eye: Love the look of chalkboard art but aren’t a fan of the actual chalking? My Mind’s Eye has got you covered with their Chalk Studio II. After the success of the first release of Chalk Studio last summer, it’s easy to see why they’ve gone back for more. And, oh, how happy I am that they have. Now we have all the more chalk to choose from.
I want to frame this piece and put it on display in my home.
- 3. Stencil Styling
Stoked about stencils? Well, you’re in luck, because the day of stencils is here in a big way. So many companies have introduced these delights. Here are just a few of the stenciled stars of this CHA show:
* Heidi Swapp: Ms. Swapp has always been known for her fresh designs and happy looks. Now you can have that look in the form of Mini Stencils. Just right for pocket scrapbooking, ATCs (artist trading cards), card fronts, and basic scrapbook-page embellishments.
* Teresa Collins Designs: Not only has the lovely TC come out with her own stencils, but she’s also introduced a texture medium to pair with them. She spent much time perfecting the formula for this medium, making it just the ticket when you want to add a little extra texture to your projects. And check out all of her new stencil releases.
Love, love, love the little hearts!
* Tim Holtz Collection by Stampers Anonymous: Tim fans are in for a stencil-rific treat. His new batch of Layering Stencils will fit nicely on tags, mixed media projects, or any other creation your Tim-tuned heart can dream up!
* The Crafter’s Workshop: A stencil pioneer, The Crafter’s Workshop has been bringing us the best of stencils for years, and this show was no exception. Watch a video sharing their newest stencils HERE!
4. The Always-Appreciated Ampersand
Sure, this recognized symbol stands for “and,” but it’s really so much more than a stop the Conjunction Junction train makes on its journey. It’s a standalone. A symbol. And, apparently, it’s a symbol we crafters can’t get enough of. It was an ampersand show, & I was pleased to be a part of it. Here are just a few of the ampersands coming to a store near you!
* Simple Stories: This company is all about the ampersand, it would seem by the looks of this &-filled paper. I can’t wait to cut these up and use them on anything and everything. For starters, I want to make a set of gift tags for my language loving friend. & how!
* Bella Blvd: Adding to the family fun of the Family is Forever collection is this striking piece of paper, adorned with ampersands. Since it’s designed in a monochromatic fashion, the ampersands act more as a neutral background pattern, with just a hint of pizzazz. I definitely want to use this as the background to a scrapbook page sometime soon!
* Lilybee: Look out, Lilybee fans; this release will knock your creative socks off. Their new collection, Everyday, is loaded with iconic motifs, including the awesome ampersand. Make that ampersandS, in wood veneer, stickers, stamps, & metal badges.
* Elle’s Studio: Everyday Moments never looked so good, thanks to Elle and her sassy studio. The ampersands in this range come in both wood veneer and in the journaling cards Elle is so well known for.
5. Bokeh Beauties
The lovely look of bokeh (pronounced bo-kay [like “okay”]) burst onto the scene this show. With many lines featuring this dreamy light-burst-effect style. In photography, bokeh is simply the soft bursts of light spots when the lens hits the light source just right. In paper crafting, it takes that same softness and applies it to paper and products. Here are a few of the new kids on the bokeh block:
* BoBunny: Bo (as in Bunny) knows Bo (as in Keh), as this lovely line, Modern Miss, illustrates. It includes bokeh brilliance in the paper and the embellishments.
* Webster’s Pages: Get carried away with Our Travels, a beautiful new line from Webster’s Pages that includes wondrous bokeh designs.
* Glitz Designs: This one is a little bit bokeh, a little bit confetti, and a lot bit fabulous. It’s part of the new Carpe Diem line, and it’s definitely one worth seizing.
Wow! What an impressive bunch of goodies heading our way! I am so inspired. I can’t wait to get my hands on these products as they hit stores this spring. In the meantime, I’ve loved sharing a few of my favorite CHA trends with you. Thanks for inviting me to be a part of the Scrapbook & Cards Today fun.
I have a Trends Report in the works on my blog, which coincides with a TV interview I’m doing on Thursday. If you have a minute, please stop by, as I’ll have some BRAND NEW CHA goodies to giveaway, and they might as well go to you.
Happy crafting, friends! Enjoy your creative journey."
If you are a fan of Scrapbook & Cards Today on Facebook we are celebrating! This week we hit an unbelievable 50K fans! Starting Monday we are celebrating with some of our favourite companies that have supported us for a long time. Don't miss it! Become a fan today HERE.