Today we are excited to welcome our partner, Crafter’s Companion, and designer Jennifer Tryon to the blog to share a fun and exciting DIY project! If you’ve ever balked at the cost of an embossed leather notebook in a stationary store, you’re not alone! Today Jennifer is here to share how she created her own using Crafter’s Companion products with a step by step photo tutorial and a video tutorial as well! Let’s take a look at this fantastic project!
Other supplies | Genuine leather piece, cut to 5” x 9″; thin coated elastic cord – 9”; scoring board; sewing machine (optional for sewing book pages together)
First, let’s take a look at the steps Jennifer took:
- Trim a piece of genuine leather to 5″ x 9″ and fold in half from left to right, like a book cover.
2. Place folded leather into a 3D Embossing Folder of your choice and close embossing folder.
3. Place the folder onto the bottom clear plastic plate of the Gemini machine and cover folder with a plastic shim. Insert the folder into the Gemini Die Cutting and Embossing Machine. After it runs through the machine, set aside.
4. Trim 4 pieces of Neenah Classic Crest cardstock to 5.5″ x 8″. Score and fold all 4 together at the 4.25″ mark.
5. Sew pages together for extra security.
6. Use small hole punch and/or pokey tool and punch two holes on the spine of the leather cover, .25″ from the top and bottom edge.
7. Trim a piece of elastic to 9″ and insert each end, from the interior of the book, into the holes to secure the interior pages to the cover.
8. Enjoy your new leather notebook!
Now, let’s watch Jennifer create her notebook in this process video:
Whatever embossed design or leather colour you choose, we’re sure you will take Jennifer’s expert instructions and make this project you own! Be sure to share and tag us, @sctmagazine and @crafterscompus on Instagram if you create your own notebook, and don’t forget to follow Crafter’s Companion at the links below for more DIY crafting inspiration of all kinds!